Members: Drew Gentile, Chair, Jake Martin, Vice-Chair,George Rau; Bebe Bartlett, Doug McAllister; Marc Ohlson, Alternate; Mark Totman; Alternate
Land Use Administrator
Phone: 603-367-4332 x303
Email: [email protected]
2023 Public Hearing Notices
January 11, 2023
January 18, 2023
MEETING DATE APPLICATION DEADLINEhttp://www.madison-nh.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/2023-ZBA-MEETING-SCHEDULE.pdf
State statute outlines the authority of towns to adopt a zoning ordinance and the extent to which a zoning ordinance may regulate the use of land. Four groups are involved with the formulation and administration of a zoning ordinance and map: the planning board, the local legislative body (town meeting), the administrative officers (planning board, selectmen, and code enforcement officer), and the board of adjustment.
The board of adjustment hears appeals from any order, requirement, decision, or determination made by an administrative official and administers special provisions in the ordinance dealing with variances and special exceptions. The board has the authority to act in four separate and distinct categories:
1. Appeal from Administrative Decision – to review a claim that the administrative officer has incorrectly interpreted the terms of the ordinance
2. Special Exception – to grant those exceptions that are clearly specified in the zoning ordinance; a permitted land use that is allowed when clearly defined criteria and conditions contained in the ordinance are met
3. Variance – to allow a relaxation or waiver of any provision of the ordinance authorizing the landowner to use his or her land in a manner that would otherwise violate the ordinance
4. Equitable Waiver of Dimensional Requirement – to address situations where a good faith error was made in the siting of a building or other dimensional layout issue
The Madison Zoning Board is appointed by the Board of Selectmen and meets as needed on the third Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. in the downstairs meeting room of Town Hall to hear testimony on applications. The application may be downloaded from the website. For procedural assistance or information please call the Land Use Administrative Assistant at 603-367-4332 x303.
See “Application” tab to download Zoning Board application.
See “Regulations” tab for the following regulations/ordinances:
- Zoning Ordinance
- Subdivision Regulations
- Site Plan Review Regulations
- Excavation Regulations